Shadow624 Sprites

Discussion Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Unpopular Opinion Time: DK64 was an unpolished mess

CosmicTornado

Let me start off by saying this is my own opinion and it won't change. I love the DK series, and I was actually really looking forward to playing DK64 when it was revealed to be coming out on the virtual console because I never owned a N64. With that out of the way, let's rant.

To start this off, the game has a horrible camera. So the camera can be controlled somewhat by holding down one of the trigger buttons on the controller, and there is a first person view as well. Sometimes it will go from this "free" control to locked, and this always happens at the worst possible times. For example, there's one area in the game's water level (gloomy grotto I think it was called) where you have to climb a tower to progress through the game. The problem is that whenever you jump up each platform, the camera puts you in a position that's confusing and makes you have to constantly re-angle yourself with the control stick. And again during the boss fight of "creepy castle" you need to time an attack (by running into a cannon to hit the cardboard boss) perfectly to ensure that you don't lose a Kong (missing the boss causes you to permanently lose the Kong during the fight). This wouldn't be as big a deal, IF YOU COULD ACTUALLY SEE WHERE THE BOSS WAS, WHICH IS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH THE CAMERA ANGLE!

Moving on, there is a pivotal moment near the end (and I guess the middle as well) of the game where you need to pull a lever with DK and fly through the rings that appeared after doing so with Diddy. But how does Diddy do this? With his jetpack. The problem? His jetback has the worst flying controls in the history of videogames, bar none. How to begin with this....I know! The jetpack flies using this weird, and non-intuitive acceleration sort of engine. Essentially, it requires you to start from a slow, crawling speed and you accelerate by holding down the jump button. The problem with this is that it jumps up to extremely high and hard to control speeds instantly. And when you let go of the button, you won't get a slow descent even if you prayed for it. You essentially have to button mash in perfect rhythm in order to maintain a set height, but if you need to go higher or lower, you better be able to perfectly mash in perfect rhythm again! During the previously mentioned "pivotal moment", you also need to constantly change the direction of the camera (yes it's back) while fighting these already horrible flying controls. You need to fly through 5 of these rings while struggling against these horrible controls, AND you're timed. Actually, you're doubly timed because you're timed to complete that one task, and once more for the entire level. For the level you are given 10 mins as a standard, and that can be increased by collecting blue prints from a certain enemy. As you need 100 golden bananas to get into this level, and each blueprint gives you one golden banana, this part isn't too big of a deal. However, you are required to play a large amount of tedious mini games to collect this total of bananas, and to complete this level.

Alright, rant over. I do not enjoy playing this game, and that makes me really sad. Anyway, I'll appreciate it if people do not call me a troll, or berate me for having this opinion. It is mine to have, and people can agree or disagree with it.

Oh, and also Lanky is in this game. I hate him so much.

tl;dr Camera controls suck, jetpack controls are complete trash and required to complete the game, too many tedious mini games, Lanky Kong.

--

Never give up hope for what could be.

http://cosmictornado.newgrounds.com/follow

March 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OmegaSword
Administrator

You don't love Lanky Kong? He's no Chunky, sure, but he inflates himself just like a balloon and will stretch his arms out just for you. This crazy kong just digs his tune. DK. Donkey Kong.

--

I feel like Donkey Kong just shaved my ass cheeks with those moves.

March 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CosmicTornado

OmegaSword at March 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM

You don't love Lanky Kong? He's no Chunky, sure, but he inflates himself just like a balloon and will stretch his arms out just for you. This crazy kong just digs his tune. DK. Donkey Kong.

Heh, I don't actually hate him, but he's such a dumb character. Like, why does tumblr love him so much?

--

March 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr.Video
Administrator

I'm pretty sure this isn't an unpopular opinion. A lot of people think it's aged poorly from what I can tell. The only timeless thing in it is the DK Rap.

Also, I don't think people actually love Lanky. He's a meme.

--

"Yep. Someday, I'll teach him a dirty lesson!" -Luigi, in regards to Waluigi, Super Mario Bros. Heroes of the Stars Episode 3

Tumblr: http://mrvideo95.tumblr.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrVideo95

March 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CosmicTornado

Mr.Video at March 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM

I'm pretty sure this isn't an unpopular opinion. A lot of people think it's aged poorly from what I can tell. The only timeless thing in it is the DK Rap.

Also, I don't think people actually love Lanky. He's a meme.

Oh really? I always heard the game was loved. Huh. Well that's cool I guess.
--

March 13, 2016 at 12:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PRIZZA

It's full of flaws, but it still has a certain charm for me. The poor dev team was under tight deadlines, and that usually hurts. The glitches also lend well to speedruns!

September 15, 2016 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Webs Counter

Recent Videos

309 views - 0 comments
1011 views - 5 comments
954 views - 2 comments